What happened to the Restaurant and Dressing Business?
I don’t recall the exact dates, but as I remember, the events went something like this:
- Grandad, Andrew Brockles Sr., passed away in 1965.
- The family continued to run the Brockles Restaurant and Salad Dressing business on S. Ervay until 1970.
- The restaurant was closed in 1970, and the property put up for sale.
- The Brockles Food Company was sold the same year along with Salad Dressing name and rights.
- The downtown property was sold and that whole corner block on So. Ervay was eventually razed and turned into a parking lot near the new City Hall.
- The subsequent owners of the Brockles Food Company continued making and selling Brockles Dressings from a Garland plant through the 80’s, but eventually produced only two or three of the dressings in institutional (gallon) sizes. This company quit making Brockles dressings in 1990 and ceased production operations altogether in 1995.
- The Brockles Jr. Restaurant was opened and operated by my dad, my mom, and brother Billy on Interstate 20 just outside of Canton TX during the 70’s. It was sold when Dad and Mom retired to Cedar Creek Lake sometime around 1978.
Any corrections to above dates or clarifications are welcome. Just post a comment below.